Me : Inner Self!! Inner Self!! Where are you? I wanna talk to you. (That’s an agitated me!)
Inner Self (IS) : Hey, you don’t have to shout. I am near you, within you. Calm down. And what is it now?
Me : Last time, you talked me out of being a Miser. I have a new aspiration now. I want to be a Sycophant now.
IS : A Sycophant?? What is that?
Me : Hmm…let me get you the right definition from Google, the God….a Sycophant is a servile person who, acting in his or her own self-interest, attempts to win favor by flattering influential persons, with an undertone that these actions are executed at the cost of his or her own personal pride, principles, and peer respect. Ooooh, that was a pretty detailed one!
IS : Why do you have these weird aspirations? Earlier, a Miser and now a Sycophant…I am disappointed in you!
Me : Listen IS, just chill and listen to what I have to say.
IS : *SIGH*…Go on…I am all ears!
Me : See, I see these Sycophants or Chamchas doing so well everywhere. I want to be like them, be successful, get what I want….
IS : Don’t use such words..Cham..
Me : Ok, if not Chamch…sorry, you can call them informers or pettifogger, a nosy-parker, a liar, a slanderer a conspirator, or a false accuser!!
IS : What do these people…errrr Sycophants do?
Me : Oh, they do a load of things, to get their work done. Like..
- They’d invite the influential people (IPs) to their homes for dinner and serve their favorite dishes.
- They’d pay utmost attention to the needs of IPs…will get them a drink or coffee, or light a match and hang on to their words, will go out of their way to do small things for them.
- They’d encourage the IPs to talk about themselves, their families, their interests and would show overt fascination and adoration for them, thereby manipulating their ego.
- They’d tell them their ‘deepest secrets’ and confide in IPs about things that they had “never ever” told other people, thereby gaining sympathy.
- They’d be the radar systems of the IPs, giving them all the information and insights of things around them, thereby becoming indispensible to the IP as they become their eyes and ears. And may be plays politics too!
IS : And what do these…emm…syco..sycophants gain by all this?
Me : You dumbo, so many things.
IS : Don’t talk to me like that!
Me : Ok, ok, cool down. They can get…
- A job, a promotion or a good salary hike at work.
- May be a new boy friend or a girl friend…
- Influence, because of their proximity to the IPs, thus making others jealous and insecure.
- Some gifts or goodies…
- A favor…
IS : And what do the IPs gain?
Me : Its a give and take relation. It suits the IPs too.
IS : But wouldn’t you become unpopular among your peer group and friends?
Me : Today, the world is all about, I, Me, Myself. My objective should be achieved, rest is immaterial.
IS : What about your morals, ethics, principles?
Me : Yes, they would be compromised, but my objectives would be met.
IS : Can you not achieve your objectives by your hard work, determination and grit, by following ethics, ideals, rules and systems.
Me : I can…but…
IS : No buts…Our ideals resemble the stars, which illuminate the night. No one will ever be able to touch them. But the men who, like the sailors on the ocean, take them for guides, will undoubtedly reach their goal.
So you can reach your goals without this
Psycho sycho thing.
It is good to have an end to journey toward, but it is the journey that matters in the end.
Me : Yeah…you are right! **A big sigh, as another aspiration is crushed**