I believed swimming to be the best form of exercising. So, the body got its daily dose of exercise in summers courtesy a swim in the cool clear pool.
And would have continued to do so even in winters, but sadly we don’t have heated pools for the harsh winters here!
A few months of lethargy saw some subtle changes at some places and some not so subtle at other places, which needed to be rectified.
“Hit the Gym”, said the inner voice. And the inner voice was heard which was doubly encouraged by my Best Half, KG. It’s been more than a month since I started working out at the gym. And I am loving every moment of it. You ask, Why??
The reasons are many…
- I like that feeling of commitment which I made to myself and my body to be fit. To commit is to pledge yourself to a certain purpose or line of conduct. And thus nothing deters me to go for that work out at 8 am of even the ultra cold foggy mornings.
- Though the feeling to catch that extra sleep in the warm cozy bed is pretty overwhelming. But, have started firmly believing in the age old adage, “Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today”!!
- I am meeting an altogether different set of like-minded people…all sweating it out to be fit and healthy! The motivation and encouragement makes your day. On the other hand, its humbling too. When somebody says, “Oh, I have been exercising, since the day I was born!”…it speaks volumes about their state of mind, their insecurities, their pain…
- I am getting to watch all new music videos and sound tracks on the TV in the gym. And this is something new for me. Because the remote of the idiot box is dominated by the 2 men of the family and all I get to watch is Cartoon Network/Pogo or AXN/Star Movies/HBO et al…
- Mirror, Mirror on the wall…tells you a lot!! Never before have I observed myself from so many angles for sooooo long!! Thank you, dear wall to wall mirrors!! Gosh, some new insights I have!
- Life is truly made up of small pleasures and thus even miniscule achievements make you jump for joy!! That extra minute you walked on treadmill or the little higher calorie burned during an exercise than before or better stamina or a better fit of some dresses, all make you go that extra mile.
Regular exercise is good for health. A moderate amount of activity performed three to five days per week:
- Improves health
- Improves many health-related risk factors
- Improves strength and feeling of well-being
I commit to be fit! Do You??