We women juggle multiple roles both at home and at work. Most of us have a demanding lifestyle now-a-days and in the long run, the stress and the hectic pace of life takes a toll on our bodies. Then there are growing health issues viz thyroid, diabetes, PCOS, arthritis, back aches, PMS, infertility and premature ageing among other things.
Body Goddess by Celebrity yoga expert Payal Gidwani Tiwari is the complete guide on Yoga for Women. The book focuses on how Yoga can not only help to achieve a slim and fit body but also a healthy one.
Payal, in her second book, shares a step by step approach to a lifetime of health and fitness. These steps are summarized as given below :
- Know your body shape and learn to play to your strengths
- Accept that you are different
- Work on your weak spots
- Do not ignore a health condition
- Aim for holistic remedies
- Exercise regularly and have a balanced diet
- Discipline and routine are key to staying fit and slim.
The book is divided into two Parts. Part One talks about…
- Chakras, the seven spinning wheels or energy centres of the body. All the chakras are explained in details along with illustrations and ways of activating and energizing each of them.
- Kriyas, the yogic purification practices which aim at holistic cleaning of body, mind and soul. Benefits and procedure of doing the various kriyas viz Neti, Kapalbhati, Trataka, Dhauti, Nauli, Basti and Shankhprakshalana are given in detail.
- Pranayam, the science of breath control through exercises. This section talks about the benefits, procedure and tips to do Pranayam for beginners as well as for advanced practitioners.
- Asanas or the body postures form the core of Yoga. There are hundreds of asanas that help in rejuvenating and enlivening the mind, body and soul.
- Suryanamaskar, the sequence of 12 postures completed as one continuous cycle that makes the body flexible and prepares it for the asanas.
- Exercises. 74 asanas are explained well with short descriptions, the problems they address along with photographs.
From a girl to a woman, adolescence to adulthood, the transformation is magical. One grows not just physically, but also emotionally and psychologically. Yoga plays a vital role to get through all these phases. So Part Two of the book talks about issues, problems and workout tips and suggestions for these four phases in the life of a woman.
- I am Girl, Not a yet a Woman (15-25 years)
- Midlife? Not Yet (25-35 years)
- Before Menopause (35-45 years)
- Afterglow (Beyond 45 Years)
What I liked about Body Goddess is that it can be used by women of all groups. The book deals with the basics of Yoga along with their practical application in our day to day life. The simple and detailed exercises with tips, benefits and suggestions will not only help to to go from fat to fit but also gives a promise of a healthier lifestyle. While the book is promoted as complete guide on Yoga for women, the Part One of the book which deals with basics of Yoga can be used by men too.
A must read for everyone, the beginners and the health and fitness enthusiasts as well.