The Cream and Scum of Blogging
This post has been published by me as a part of the Blog-a-Ton 1, the first edition of the online marathon of Bloggers; where we decide and we write. To be part of the next edition, visit and start following Blog-a-Ton.
Blogging is my new passion!
Webster’s defines “passion” as “powerful feeling” and “great enthusiasm.” Further definitions include “emotions as distinguished from reason,” “suffering,” and “anger and rage.”
In other words, the road to passion or “great enthusiasm” may require some “suffering.” So, my new passion ie blogging has some great enthusiastic moments (The Cream) and some sufferings (The Scum) too!!
So, on a positive and happy note, lets have the Cream first….
- Blogging for me has been a wonderful creative vent to whet my writing skills. I guess, I am not bad..eh! It allows me to write on anything with my own special ‘chutney’. In fact, blogs have started a revolution…they are a great platform for personal publishing and self expression, which was not possible some time back. An average person can create his blog and share his thoughts, which could be read around the world!
- Its a cool way to share my experiences, thoughts on my mind, even the silly and mundane things of the daily grind! I am kind of liking the idea that this could be my legacy for my son, Aaryan and his kids in the future! (Too farsighted I am!)
- The immediate feedback and reactions are a big high too. In fact , many a times, the feedback/comments add a new dimension to your own thought! So, I’d like to thank all guys who stopped by and left their imprints on my blog, thereby making my blogging experience more FABULOUS than I could have ever imagined it could be!!
- Finally, its a great place to meet up some really talented, creative, wonderful people. It’s a great place to get acquainted with such diverse thoughts, views even on some mundane concerns!
- Blogging is good for health!! YES, says a press release titled the “Brain of a Blogger” from two doctors, Fernette Eide M.D. and Brock Eide M.D. M.A. of Eide Neurolearning Blog. They say, blogging can promote critical and analytical thinking!! That’s a great news! So guess, one should blog more often!! Also, the doctors say, Blogging can be a powerful promoter of creative, intuitive, and associational thinking. To remain popular with readers, blogs must be updated frequently. This constant demand for output promotes a kind of spontaneity and ‘raw thinking’–the fleeting associations and the occasional outlandish ideas–seldom found in more formal media.
- Blogging is a good combination of solitaryexpression and social interface. While one can blog his ideas, thoughts in isolation, but one can get feedback, response via the comments from the readers on the web immediately! In fact, recently I have been a witness to a great interaction between the fellow bloggers on a post “Lessons from a dead body” at A Naked Opinion. I mean, the comments are truly intellectual, thought provoking and debatable.
- Blogging can also be a great platform for quality information in an interesting manner. For instance, recently, the death of Michael Jackson led to a great number of bloggers paying tribute to the legend. And the variety of information shared was immense…from his best songs to his life, his achievements to conspiracy theories, all was there in the blogs!
And like there is a flip side to everything, Blogging has its share of Scum too…
- It can be time consuming, and it certainly keeps me on my toes! There is a constant rush to finish up all the tasks at hand and then get back to the blog, may be write, look at the comments if any, respond to them and of course soak up whatever possible in the blogosphere!
- Blogging can get you arrested or jailed or have criminal charges slapped on you! Bloggers may no longer express their uninhibited views on everything under the sun, for the Supreme Court said they may face libel and even prosecution for the blog content. It will no longer be safe to start a blog and invite others to register their raunchy, caustic and even abusive comments on an issue while seeking protection behind the disclaimer “views expressed on the blog are that of the writers”. This chilling warning emerged as a Bench comprising Chief Justice K G Balakrishnan and Justice P Sathasivam refused to protect a 19-year-old Kerala boy, who had started a community on Orkut against Shiv Sena, from protection against summons received from a Maharashtra court on a criminal case filed against him!
- Blogging can get you in legal trouble, in case you infringe on issues related to Copyright, Defamation (libel), Privacy, Trademark, Trade Secrets.
- And yes, you can get stalked (via emails, chats or even comments in the comment box at the blog!) by some ‘Followers’ too!
As it is with everything else in this world, there are pros and cons to everything one runs across and blogging is no exception. But for me the Cream outweighs the Scum!! 🙂
The fellow Blog-a-Tonics who took part in this Blog-a-Ton are Arjuna,Saimanohar, Dhiman, Avdi, Daisy Blue, Sid ‘Ravan’ Kabe, Shankar, Vipul Grover,Bharathi, Ranee, Ranee again and Pawan.
Click on their respective names to read their posts on The Cream and Scum of Blogging.
To be part of the next edition of this online marathon, visit and start following Blog-a-Ton.
August 1, 2009 8:45 am|
that was the most informative nd well researched post of all othr posts of Blog-a-Tonics i’ve read till now:)
August 1, 2009 9:35 am|
wow….blogging gets us into legal trouble….and arrested or jailed..those one’s really scare me…nicely written one…..
August 1, 2009 9:51 am|
A very good post!Now I am following Blog-A-Tonics! Thank you!Blogging is really very time consuming!!
August 1, 2009 10:15 am|
Great piece of work & all info written bout blogging is quite informative!!
August 1, 2009 11:53 am|
yes dear …
rightly put ! i am sure its fun
and thatit has more+ves than
-ves….just like our life does…..
i guess… depends solely on the indiv…. as to what one want to see, feel, contemplate, analyse, forget, remember….
i.e. focus or ignore…
its tempting me once more to join the band wagon….
August 1, 2009 11:54 am|
very intersting and informative..great post!
August 1, 2009 12:00 pm|
A very well thought and nicely garnished piece of work….a very spicy blog which is a must read for all. but remember
August 1, 2009 12:08 pm|
To Blog or Not to Blog… Thanks to this well written post we are able to see both sides of coin.
Really enjoyed reading the good & “Evil” of blogging… But as rightly said by you the cream is too tempting & outweighs Scum!
August 1, 2009 12:14 pm|
Nice summary.. But 1 factor is missing from the list of cream..
we have seen many people laughing all the way to banks … thanks to Blogging & Contextual Advertising.
isn’t it ??
August 1, 2009 12:48 pm|
Comfortable margin of victory in favour of blogging and its true !
This comparison will definetly push people to emrace blogging
August 1, 2009 1:01 pm|
@ Vipul: Thanks a lot Vipul!!
I am smiling! 🙂
@ Shankar: Yes, though sad its true!! So need to be conscious, I guess! 🙂
And thanks! 🙂
@ Pra: Thanks Pra! And thanks for following Blog-A-Ton!! Welcome to the club! 🙂
August 1, 2009 1:08 pm|
You have Hit the ” Bulls Eye”
.. some how seeing this revolution of blogging happening on web across world have taken me back to a theory taught in school — ” VASUDEV KATUMBKAM”
i.e. whole world is a family !
Slowly & steadily Blogs are acting as nodes joining people, commumities, thoughts, aspirations, rants, & also diluting the boundries – Actual or virtual.
Every single post posted by any Blogger is acting as an undercurrent that is contributing its bit in the BLOG wave… A wave that rides on:
– FREEDOM OF SPEECH
– Independent Thinking
Thanks to blogging … Common Man (Read US) has been equipped with a weapon with which he can take on injustices of the society … we allready in India have seen many social causes being taken up by the bloggers & the impact made!
With Social Networking on web growing leaps & bounds.. Blogging – sharing of opinions is bound to increase & perhaps the Power Shift – From Strong to Small will happen.
Keep contributing your bit.. & enjoying the [cream]
you have allready made a Difference!
Keep doing so …
August 1, 2009 1:12 pm|
@ Sheetal: Am glad you liked it and found it useful! So when are you joining our gang??? 🙂
@ Kusum: Oh, yes, it has more of fun value than the scum!
Now, what do we need to do, to make you join this band wagon???
Don’t think too much…too much of analysis, leads to paralysis!! 😀
August 1, 2009 1:19 pm|
@ G-Patts: Thanks a lot for your feedback. It sure means a lot! 😀
And your advice is pending…??? 🙂
@ MM: Thank You MM!
So does the Cream of blogging tempt you to foray into this revolution??
I know, its a classic case of “look who’s talking?” 😀
August 1, 2009 2:07 pm|
A nicely done and quite an informative post, I must say.
Well… just as ‘jogging’ is reqd to keep the body fit… ‘blogging’ is for the grey cells to remain in top shape 🙂
August 1, 2009 2:37 pm|
some very interesting points there…and they make perfect sense..
p.s. following your blog now.. will see you around…
August 1, 2009 2:56 pm|
Wow..your post is really well-researched and quite a lot of comments as well…
So i suppose one more praise won’t matter a lot? right…simply marvelous yaar…simply marvelous…
i have some less, but similar points too do read…
August 1, 2009 3:34 pm|
As I said b4…. it seems more of a passion for you. Very beautifully jotted down blogs!!!!!!!!! Almost all till now!!!
Keep it up
August 1, 2009 3:44 pm|
Quite fascinating & interesting, I must say…
Passion certainly drives your dedication to blogging!
Well written & quite informative … kinda summarizes what it takes to ‘BLOG’!
Much njoy reading your blogs …. keep writing!
August 1, 2009 4:37 pm|
Well researched, well written & well presented one…
And Health benefits of blogging on the brain negates the other ill effects on the body 😀
August 1, 2009 7:29 pm|
@ Anin: Wow! First a BIG thanks for such a detailed and informative comment! In fact you should have participated in the Blog-a-ton!!
Hope to see you in the second edition!
And Welcome on “A rose is a rose is a rose!”
And thanks again! 🙂
@ Roshmi: Thanks a lot Roshmi!
Yes, let’s exercise our grey cells more and blog more!!:D
@ Rane: Thank you! Am glad, the post made sense! 🙂
Welcome on “A rose is a rose is a rose!” Hope you have a great fun time here!
And thanks for your support too!:D
August 1, 2009 7:34 pm|
@ Sid: Thank you 🙂
And your feedback means a lot! Thank you!!
And Welcome on “A rose is a rose is a rose!” 🙂
@ Sumeet: Thanks for your support Sumeet! 🙂
@ Anan: Thank you girl! What would I do without your encouragement!! 🙂
August 1, 2009 7:38 pm|
@ Dhiman: Well, Thank You!!! 😀
Yeah, lets blog more to stay healthy!! 😉
August 2, 2009 5:11 am|
Thats an awesome post. i agree with every point that u say.
On the scum side, “the big brother watching” attitude of the authorities sucks big time.
Then again we must not abuse such a great medium of expression i.e blogging.
Cheers and check out my latest post.
August 2, 2009 6:11 am|
@ IndianPundit: Thanks a lot! 🙂
Am pleased to note that the post made sense! 🙂
Hmm…I agree, but guess, its ok…to avoid misuse, coz you have all ‘types’ on the web!!
August 2, 2009 6:25 am|
This is well informative post. Many of your points are quite new to me.
August 2, 2009 7:06 am|
Continuation of my last comment:
When we are criticize somedody in our blogs, the trick is “Target the CRIME not the CRIMINAL”.
i mean ordinary citizens like you and me are not a COMPETENT AUTHORITY to call somebody guilty or not guilty.But many people do mindlessly abuse others in their blogs.
So a “big brother” is needed to a certain extent.
Cheers and a great post by the way.
August 2, 2009 11:31 am|
well researched and greatly put..
August 2, 2009 12:05 pm|
@ Bharathi: Thanks Bharathi! 🙂
@ IndianPundit: Very true, one must target the crime!
But most of us are not logical, rational and sensible enough and hence commit the most juvenile act of targeting the criminal and yes, also its very easy to do so!!
Hence the restraint, laws, restrictions…. 🙂
@ Saimanohar: Thanks and Welcome on “A rose is a rose is a rose!” 🙂
August 2, 2009 7:26 pm|
I read all the comments…do I need to say more! You rock lady! 🙂
August 3, 2009 4:17 am|
An all-around excellent post, Shilpa! I like your style–
beautiful, tangy, spicy chutney with all the right ingredients in the right proportions!
I agree with everything you say. Couldn’t have said it better myself!
I see I’ll have to keep coming back here for more chutney.
August 3, 2009 7:13 am|
Another long post that Ive read in Blog a Ton.. nevertheless it was not a boring one 🙂 !
August 3, 2009 7:15 am|
@ Amrit: What do I say…. I am stumped actually…never expected this!! And Thanks a ton for your encouragement!! 🙂
@ PEOPLE, PLACES, VOICES, FACES…: Thanks a lot Ranee!! 😀
Am glad you liked it!
And welcome on “A rose is a rose is a rose!”. Hope to see you around! 🙂
August 3, 2009 7:16 am|
@ Daisy Blue: Thanks a lot!! 🙂
August 4, 2009 5:30 am|
whoa…that was a lot of information download !!!!
August 5, 2009 3:33 am|
Congrats Shila. You totally deserve it. Kudos to Vipul too for his huge patience.
Am blogrolling you !
August 5, 2009 12:00 pm|
@ Aashi: Hmm…:)
@ Avdi: Thanks Avdi!! I agree, Vipul has started a wonderful thing…
And thank you!! 🙂
August 7, 2009 8:48 pm|
Really Addictive and advisable… i think i should also get going towards blogging after reading this…
A suggestion – Plz write your comments on this Swine flu epedemic also. is it Govt who has allowed this problem to increase ?
August 8, 2009 4:01 am|
@ akash : Thank you Akash for dropping by! Yeah, it sure is and you must definitely blog!! 🙂
Thanks for the idea…will try it! 🙂
August 8, 2009 5:07 am|
Congratulations for being the first Blog-a-Ton winner !
I agree with your analysis on blog. Blogging is a healthy activity and a good excercise for our grey cells. It keeps our analytical process in wider dimension. Along side ,its a tough job to make the balance between worklife , family life and blog life. 🙂
August 20, 2009 5:44 pm|
Hi Shilpa…loved your post..your post has been the most inforative article i have ever read on blogging..it has indeed provided me with more good reasons than bad about blogging..would lov eto follow your blog…keep up the good work…:)
August 20, 2009 6:04 pm|
@ Mr.R: Thanks a lot Mr.R!!
I know, though its an healthy addiction but is very demanding!! 🙂
August 20, 2009 6:07 pm|
@ chandreyee: Hi Chandreyee!! Thank you so much and Welcome on “A rose is a rose is a rose!!”
Am glad you could relate to it and yes, the cream of blogging certainly outweighs the scum.
So you too keep blogging! 🙂
Hope to see you around!!
And take care! 🙂
February 12, 2010 2:00 pm|
I’ve found the golden-fish of all blogs. And, i’m sure i’ll enjoy every moment i spend reading your blog. Thanks to blog-a-ton.
I’m really excited to enter this blogging world full of enthusiasm. I really liked your post and i should say you have done a great deal of research.
I AM FOLLOWING YOU!!!
And, I think i should also experience the excitement of being a blogger. 🙂
December 17, 2013 6:31 am|
A very informative post about the pros and cons of blogging… a blogging phenomenon, a blogging success has it’s share of disadvantages too…