New Year Goals
Happy New Year, Folks!
It’s that time of the year when reflection, looking inside and looking forward, goals, resolutions dominate our mind space. After all, a brand new year is the perfect time to take stock of our life and its situations, our dreams, hopes and aspirations.
As I sit and look back and reflect on the past, I also think about the future. And somehow I get a good vibe about the year 2016. There I said it. I hope I dont jinx it now! This new year appears to be full of promise and opportunity and I want to make the most of it. I know, it sounds clichéd but there’s something magical and wonderful about the new year. So, I am going ahead and listing my goals for 2016… the goals that will guide me, push me to be a better me.
1. Get Organised : I take pride in saying that I am an organised person. But lately I am seeing myself pulled in multiple directions and really struggling to meet the deadlines.
- I want to organize my blogging time better and focus on interaction with readers too. I seriously falter in replying to comments on blog. I’d like to change that.
- I want to cut down on social media which is a big time-sucker for me and devote a specific time for it.
- Plan better and complete my assignments/projects on time.
2. Read More : I read some 80 books last year and this year I want to read a lot more. I want to explore new authors and their works, read different genres and re-read some books again. More often than not, I just drag and push myself through a painfully boring novel just to check it off my list and this really slows and slackens the reading spree. So, this year, I want to stop reading a book that does not appeal to me. More about my reading goals in the next post.
3. Learn Something New : By trials and errors, amidst lots of failed attempts and then successful ones, I learnt the art and science of baking cakes and cookies last year. I have a long way to go but I am happy with my progress. This year, I’d like to get better at photography, take some online courses, delve deeper into Reiki and all this along with the lessons life teaches every day!
4. Fit in Fitness : Aah! This is my Achilles heel. This is one goal that eludes me. I just can’t keep a commitment to any fitness regime for more than a few days. But it is something that I cannot ignore any more. A casual observation by a friend pushed me to go on a 10-day sugar detox last month. I did it successfully and am continuing with it but the craving for my sweet tea is still very strong. I know it takes three months before a change becomes a routine. So, I am cutting down on my sugar intake and plan to walk, exercise and swim religiously this year, till fitness becomes a way of life!
While, I know I will ace the first three goals, the last one needs me to push myself out of my comfort zone and Do It just like Nike! Fingers crossed and push, shove, best wishes are very much needed for that!
Do you believe in new year resolutions? What are your goals for 2016?
January 3, 2016 4:51 pm|
I’m working on every one of these, too, Shilpa!
January 3, 2016 9:37 pm|
Good luck to you too, LuAnn as you achieve all these goals 🙂
January 3, 2016 4:58 pm|
Great goals, Shilpa. My wishes for this year are along the same line. Happy 2016 dear!
January 3, 2016 9:40 pm|
A very happy 2016 to you too, Vinitha and best wishes to you too for your goals 🙂
January 3, 2016 4:59 pm|
Happy New Year Shilpa…and all the good luck for your resolutions! My resolutions are almost same … hope that we can accomplish them!
January 3, 2016 9:45 pm|
Thank you for your good wishes, Sheela and best wishes as you ace all your goals for 2016 🙂
January 3, 2016 8:19 pm|
I am going to learn a lot of new things this year. Am already into udemy, might check out lynda as well 🙂 All the best for fulfilling your goals.
January 3, 2016 9:54 pm|
That’s an awesome attitude, Rajesh! Just checked out Udemy and Lynda… I will explore these sites for some courses too. Thanks for sharing and thanks for good wishes and good luck for your goals too 🙂
January 3, 2016 9:23 pm|
Like I told you in the morning, I marvel at your reading. I would like to do better at reading. Have joined the HTBrunch challenge this year. In terms of blogging, I just need to devote some more time to my food blog. Yep to online courses though I keep doing them often. Fitness is good for me. I exercise regularly. Just a question, what is wrong with a little sugar? Why do away completely?
January 3, 2016 10:14 pm|
Reading is a big time passion for me. I didnt do well last year, but this time I am keen to plan my reading and read LOTS 😀
I really like your passion for exercise / daily walks. Wish i get my act together too. Sugar… aah! we dont have sweet tooth but sweet teeth. 2-3 spoons in a cup of tea is my elixir… and this much of sugar is really bad for health. It is very calorie-dense and increases higher triglycerides and lower HDL. So cutting it off a bit (actually a lot by our standards!)
January 4, 2016 10:06 am|
Good Luck Shilpa… Fit in fitness has been on my list for the last few years…alas!. Now you give me hope
January 7, 2016 11:25 pm|
Aah! You too, Nisha! Fit in Fitness should be our mantra actually. Hope we are successful in achieving this goal, this year. Thanks and good luck to you too 🙂
January 4, 2016 10:59 am|
This is my first time on your blog Shilpa and I got to tell you, you got yet another follower here. I liked your simple style of writing…I am repelled by overtly fancy words, unnecessary use of slang etc. I am glued to A rose is a rose is a rose. About this post, again liked your list of doable goals. Reading is always on my list. And yes, I am also going to try something(though not sure what) for the first time.
January 7, 2016 11:29 pm|
Hi Deepali. Welcome to A rose is a rose is a rose. Good to see you here and thanks for the kind words. Good luck with your goals and see you around! Cheers 🙂
January 4, 2016 2:25 pm|
These four are in my list as well! However, I already doubt on achieving the same. All the best to you, Shilpa. Have a happy and blessed 2016. 🙂
January 7, 2016 11:31 pm|
Oh, dont doubt yourself. You can do it. (And this applies to me too 😛 )
Thanks a lot, Shalini and wishing you a satisfying and happy 2016 too 🙂
January 4, 2016 3:19 pm|
good luck with the goals and wish you a very happy new year! 🙂
January 7, 2016 11:32 pm|
Thanks a lot, M and a very happy and joyous 2016 to you too 🙂
January 4, 2016 8:34 pm|
Wow! We have a lot in common. I can say ditto to all 4 things.
However, I think I will be able to stick to fitness resolution this year, as it has started dominating my thoughts.
P.S.The new thing that I plan to learn this year is food photography.
January 7, 2016 11:33 pm|
Your fitness regime is inspiring. Hope I am able to push myself to do a bit of it too. Yes, food photography is in my bucket list too. Good luck with your goals, Shantala. Let’s check them all from our list 🙂
January 5, 2016 11:16 am|
Happy New Year!!
Great points there, Shilpa! I don’t make new year resolutions, I have made them before and struggled to keep them…so now, I don’t wait up for new year to do something that I want to do.
January 7, 2016 11:39 pm|
Thank you, Shubhangi and a very happy 2016 to you too. I know what you mean. It’s like jahan aank khuli vanhi savera. Good strategy 🙂
January 5, 2016 3:20 pm|
I’m in the same boat as you with regards to fitness. It just seems to run away from me. Perhaps I need to get creative with fitness – it might then stick around. 🙂 All the best for your goals for 2016 and I’m looking forward to your book reviews.
January 7, 2016 11:41 pm|
Aah! Creativity in fitness is something that I need too. Since Creative is your word for 2016, pls find some creative ways for staying committed to exercise schedule and do share them with me. Thanks a lot for your good wishes, Suzy and wishing you the very best in 2016 too 🙂
January 6, 2016 4:10 am|
My only goal this year is to sleep for 8 hours at a stretch 😀 Hope you get to achieve your goals. Happy new year Shilpa! 🙂
January 7, 2016 11:42 pm|
Aah! I can relate to that and empathize with you! Thanks a lot, A and good luck for your goals too 🙂
January 7, 2016 12:37 pm|
There are so many things to do in life, isn’t it? I like your list. Coincidentally I’m on a one-week sugar break too. But I allow myself two cups of tea so I don’t feel deprived :-P.
January 7, 2016 11:44 pm|
Oh yes, so much to do and so little time. Wow, that’s cool. Do you see/feel any difference in yourself coz of this sugar detox? Oh, we will exchange notes when we meet, which is sooooon 🙂
January 8, 2016 12:28 pm|
Nice goals shilpa! Good luck to you….For me all your goals …plus i want to bring in some self discipline like practice all the activities that i have taken up like singing, doodling daily for atleast 15 minutes. My last year’s resolution of not buying anything made of plastic was almost successful….except two pots i bought nothing made of plastic and even helped discourage plastic bags amongst my service providers like phoolwala. Hope to continue this year too and phase out plastic from my life.:)
January 9, 2016 10:40 pm|
Wow! No plastic… that’s sooooo inspiring and so fantastic, Asha! You are doing such a good thing. ♥ Thank you and good luck with your goals for 2016 🙂
January 9, 2016 4:51 am|
Best of luck! I’m sure you’ll ace all your goals!
January 9, 2016 10:41 pm|
Thank you so much, Roshni. Fingers crossed! 🙂