Best Yoga Poses to Improve Your Digestion
Even though the lockdown has been eased, most of us are still exercising caution and prefer to stay indoors. This reduced physical activity has resulted in a rise in digestive problems like constipation, acidity, bloating, IBS etc. And as you know, lousy digestion is the root of all evil. In these unprecedented times, it is imperative to stay fit and healthy. Good news is that you can do this from the comfort of your home. Yoga, our ancient art and science of living has a lot of asanas that can be practised at home to not only have good digestion but can improve overall health and well-being. In this post, there are some best yoga for digestion poses to help you stay fit.
Yoga for Digestion
Yoga poses can have a direct, positive influence on your digestive system. They can help you to eliminate digestive problems as you learn to breathe better and calm your mind. However, a few precautions need to be taken when practising yoga for digestion:
- Do yoga asanas on an empty stomach. Drinking warm lemon water before performing yoga is a good practice.
- Do not be in a hurry to do the yoga poses. Be mindful and focus on your breathing.
- Have a positive outlook and believe that the power of yoga will help resolve your digestive problems as you practice the various asanas.
- If you are recovering from recent abdominal surgery, avoid practising yoga or do it after consulting your doctor.
- After yoga practice, lie still as in Shavasana (corpse pose) for 5-10 minutes, as it helps to relax and rejuvenate the body.
- It is best to learn the correct and precise techniques of each yoga posture from a trained practitioner for best results.
- Ease your digestive problems with these six yoga asanas. These yogas for digestion will not provide an immediate solution but offer a long-term solution for a healthy digestive system.
1. Naukasana (Boat Pose)
Nauka = Boat, Asana = Pose
This yoga for digestion asana strengthens the abdominal muscles and powers up the intestines.
It also increases the release of digestive enzymes and juices thereby improving digestion.
2. Paschimottanasana (Seated Forward Bend Pose)
Paschim = West, Uttana = Stretched Out, Asana = Pose
This asana massages abdominal organs and burns belly fat.
It helps relieve constipation and tames trapped gas or flatulence.
3. Ustrasana (Camel Pose)
Ustra = Camel, Asana = Pose
Camel Pose stretches the stomach, abdomen and intestines.
Ustrasana relieves constipation.
It also improves digestion and appetite.
4. Pawanmuktasana (Wind-Relieving Pose)
Pavana = Wind, Mukta = Relieve or Release, Asana = Pose
This yoga for digestion strengthens the abdominal muscles and removes gastrointestinal problems.
It massages the intestinal organs and places pressure on the colon thus reduces distention and digestive discomfort.
5. Ardha Matsyendrasana (Sitting Half Spinal Twist Pose)
Ardha = Half, Matsya = Fish, Indra = Ruler, Asana = Pose
Ardha Matsyendrasana cleanses the digestive system.
When you twist your body, you compress your abdominal organs. As a result, there is reduced blood flow at that moment. But when you come back to your normal posture, you’re allowing the “new” blood to flow back to the digestive organs.
This boosts digestion and also improves liver and pancreatic health.
6. Trikonasana (Triangle Pose)
Trikona = Triangle, Asana = Pose
This yoga for digestion massages the organs in the abdominal region and also increases the blood flow which aids in good digestion.
It provides relief from acidity, bloated stomach/abdomen and indigestion.
It relieves constipation, as it places pressure on the intestinal tract and stimulates peristalsis.
Trikonasana improves appetite and digestion.
It also acts on the kidneys and enhances the activity of abdominal organs, especially the liver and the intestinal tract.
Practice these asanas regularly and improve your digestive health. Get your yoga mat and move towards a healthier lifestyle.