Little Happy Things
Happiness in life is one thing that everyone aspires to have. It is seen that most of us, in our restless search for happiness through something significant to happen, continuously miss the insignificant, which may not be insignificant at all. Over the years, it has been observed that true happiness is found in simple and seemingly unremarkable things. It’s the small and simple pleasures throughout the day that give us more happiness than that one big achievement. And it is the sum total of all these little things that make life more enriching, and beautiful.
Here’s my list of little things that fill me with happiness and bliss.
- Reading a well told story. It is sheer happiness to be transported into the magical worlds the written word takes me to, the experiences that it leaves me with, the feelings it evokes me with, the beauty that stays with me long after the last page is turned.
- Baking a perfect cake and seeing it wolfed down with appreciative ‘Oohs and Ahas!’
- Learning is happiness. The excitement of learning a new skill is incomparable. Yesterday was a happy day when I got to attend a food photography workshop, which was on my bucket list. Aah! The joy of growing, learning and changing!
- Happiness is getting-together at home with family and friends. Ooh! The fun and banter that comes with laughing and sharing stories over food and wine, with friends.
- The other day, I was standing in a queue at the airport shop and buying a box of Karachi biscuits. A stranger (a foreigner) holding a similar box but a large one of the same brand was standing just ahead of me. What a happy coincidence! Seeing me hold a medium sized box, he turned back, smiled and in a mischievous conspiratorial tone while pointing towards my box, said, “There’s a big box too.” Without batting an eye, I matched his conspiratorial tone and said, “I have a small family” and we both burst out laughing! Happiness is a fun conversation with a stranger.
- The theatre lights go down, the salt and butter dusted popcorn is waiting to be devoured and the opening credits roll in. Aah! The joy and happiness of watching the much awaited movie of your favourite actor in the cinema hall.
- Happiness is getting that comforting and solution driven message from a friend in the middle of the night when I was panicking on seeing my laptop infected with malware!
- Last week, as I turned in the key to open the door of our home, the aroma of food wafted through the air! The bliss of being treated to a delicious dinner cooked by the husband after a long day at work!!
Happiness is not ready made. It comes from our own actions. It is found in small positive experiences in our day to day life that makes us feel contented and at peace. It is found in being thankful for all the little things which happen around us and to us every day. Happiness is looking for the hope and light even when it seems hidden. All said, the little things matter. Even if they don’t seem like it at the time.
What are the little things that make you happy?
March 22, 2015 4:11 pm|
Such a happy list 🙂 Lovely are such moments which remain etched in our hearts for a long time !! And for us book lovers, books are the greatest source of happiness 😉 Smiling, and still smiling at this list of yours 🙂
March 23, 2015 7:46 pm|
Thanks Sreeja! Glad you can relate to this little happy list 🙂
March 22, 2015 4:17 pm|
the list is endless… 🙂 wish you a happy day..
March 23, 2015 7:46 pm|
You bet, it is! Thank you and wishing you a great week too 🙂
March 22, 2015 7:51 pm|
I love this so much and couldn’t possibly agree more–happiness is all about taking the time and energy to notice and act upon what brings us joy. This is brilliant!
March 23, 2015 7:47 pm|
Well said! It is all about finding joy and happiness in all things around us! Thanks Galit! 🙂
March 22, 2015 10:59 pm|
I wish I could also attend the food photography workshop and other such exciting events that help me improve my photography. Much needed!
March 23, 2015 7:49 pm|
I was so looking forward to it and glad that an opportunity came by! There’s so much to learn in photography! Our workshop was just for 45 minutes but it gave a lot of pointers, tips and tricks! Hope you get to attend one such workshop too, Rajesh!
March 23, 2015 1:46 pm|
Very true Shilpa….Happiness is not ready made, we need to work at it and find it in the smallest of things in life 🙂
March 23, 2015 7:55 pm|
Oh yes! It’s not just one thing that brings happiness.It’s the small, everyday stuff that makes our life more blissful and happy!
March 23, 2015 5:58 pm|
Could’nt agree more with you. Happiness is truly in little things and all that bullets resonate with me:) A happy post, Shilpa!
March 23, 2015 8:01 pm|
True. Like they say, it’s the little things that makes life big. Thanks Asha! Enjoyed your list of happy moments too!
March 25, 2015 2:07 pm|
This is such a happy post! I loved your little conversation with the stranger at the airport 😀 I love meeting interesting people at places like these too!
April 1, 2015 2:08 pm|
Thanks a lot and good to see you back! 🙂
March 26, 2015 7:19 am|
Karachi biscuit incident is the best.
I feel,it’s all in the mind….It’s the smallest and most insignificant situation can become the happiest moment in one’s life.
April 1, 2015 2:09 pm|
True that! It’s the smallest things take up the most room in our heart!