What Did I Do?
It has struck again!
But did it ever go?
The thoughts, words, fingers are all in freeze mode. The blank page continues to stare nonchalantly. I have lost the count of ideas and drafts that have been killed in my head and on the laptop screen. Hectic work schedule, Aaryan’s holidays and the desire to spend as much time as possible with him and then the mad rush of shopping and packing bags as he had to leave for his boarding school were some of the reasons I gave to myself for this so called writer’s block, till a few days ago.
But now that the work is happening at a relaxed pace and Aaryan is back at his school and KG being busy with his work, I have all the time in the world to catch up on blogging. But did that happen? Well, NO!! The more I tried, the more I failed to write.
So, what did I do these past few days, that is apart from fretting, fuming, pulling my hair and staring blankly at the blank screen… Well…
- Read almost all my old blog posts. I read all the personal posts and did a time travel and smiled and shed a tear or two on the memories that surfaced from the dark recesses of the mind. I read all the 55 Fiction and Drabbles and I have written 200 of them. I had once written a 55 fiction in 10 minutes, so I thought that I might be inspired to give a repeat performance but nothing of that sort happened. And reading all the old posts filled me with self doubt and wondered how have I written 1100+ posts till now! *SIGH*
- Read books. Yesterday was a good day as I read 3.5 books. I finished reading Rogue Lawyer by John Grisham, started and finished reading Short Stories with a Twist by Destination Infinity, fellow blogger and friend. And then spent the whole afternoon smiling and laughing out loud with Varun Agarwal as he shared ‘How I Braved Anu Aunty & Co-Founded a Million Dollar Company’. Later in the evening, Kunal Nayyar regaled me with his stories in Yes, My Accent is Real. I am happy to say that I am on target of reading 150 books this year… so far! Touch wood!
- Washed. Yes, I washed every piece of clothing in sight, so much so that for three days our home looked like a Dhobhi Ghaat. There were clothes all around in various stages of drying. I know, I am clearly unstable and this OCD for washing and cleanliness is growing unabated. KG wanted to give me exasperated looks but chose to calmly say, “Go slow, Shilpa, you will tire yourself”. Aah, nearly two decades of marriage (we completed of 19 years of marital bliss tolerance, last week!) brings all this wisdom, I guess.
- Slept! I usually sleep for 15-20 minutes in the afternoons, but last week, I surprised myself and slept for long hours. My body needed the rest, I reasoned with myself. And then I read somewhere that people who sleep for long hours are sad. Sad?! Me?! I didn’t believe that. But then that was based on research, so I pondered over it and realized that I was/am sad! Sad since Aaryan is not around and sad/anxious that I am struggling to write…
- Took silly quizzes on Facebook and got to know that I am 60% Left brain inclined and 40% right brained or that my personality type is Quirky Free-Spirit! *Rolls Eyes*
- Listened to songs and watched TV. I don’t (almost never) watch TV alone. But I did it last week and I realized that watching The Impractical Jokers, F.R.I.E.N.D.S and The Big Bang Theory without Aaryan is no fun. I missed our laughter together. And somehow Food and Travel Shows don’t look so interesting without KG.
- Tried to make sense of the political scenario in the country. Politics does not interest me at all. I made an attempt to read about the JNU row, Jat agitation etc and just gave up. Does that make me anti-national?
- Playing Word Games and solving puzzles on phone. I am getting nearly addicted to Lexiquo, a word puzzle and another game Blocked In is keeping me busy too.
- Chatted with a few friends. If I don’t see some friends around Facebook, Whatsapp for a while, I get these mild anxiety attacks. I don’t know what this is with me. I have to get in touch with them and check if all’s ok with them.
- Just lazed around and did nothing for long hours. And I quite liked doing that!!
This is what I did last week while struggling with writer’s block. Actually, there is no such thing as writer’s block. More about it, some other time. What did you do last week?
February 23, 2016 6:19 pm|
There are not many bloggers who have written as much as you have, Shilpa. I am seriously impressed!
March 3, 2016 12:36 pm|
Aww! LuAnnn! Thanks ♥ Oh, but there are quite a lot of them actually!
February 23, 2016 6:23 pm|
Aw Shilpa hugs to you. I can in part understand what you’re going through. While everyone is there we have no time to write and then when everyone goes away we are too unsettled to write. This past weekend my husband was here and we had a hectic time – dinners and shopping and the kids’ PTM, a function at school and then N’s dance performance… till I thought I’d go crazy. And then everything was over and he went away and I was suddenly left feeling listless. You take care. Rest, read and the muse shall show up.
March 3, 2016 12:39 pm|
Aah! We all have the same story! Hope things are cool at your end now, Tulika! Hugs back to you ♥
February 23, 2016 6:35 pm|
I can never believe that you have writer’s block. You are one of the most prolific bloggers I know, Shilpa! 🙂 I loved reading your post – looks like you had a pretty good week! I more or less enjoyed a digital detox as I got down to spring cleaning after a very enjoyable blogger meet on Saturday, all thanks to my ISP warning me about exceeding my quota and kindly suggesting I buy an additional pack. The weather is turning quite warm and I rather enjoyed the cleaning because it means discovering little treasures and spending an altogether very happy time. With instant gratification. I am also in the process of washing everything as I do not want to waste the intense sunshine 🙂
Hugs! Good to see you back! I somehow thought you were traveling!
March 3, 2016 12:42 pm|
Love your faith in me, Vidya ♥ Yes, it was good in a way. got to do so many things. Aha! You had a great week too, thanks to your ISP! I think we must forcibly take these digital detox every now and then. It will do a world of good to all of us 🙂
I was out of home for a fortnight, but am back now! 🙂 Hugs back to you, Vidya!
February 23, 2016 7:14 pm|
With the level of activity – you had your hands full!
Things are my end are crazy. Lot of work and a bit of stress too. Churning out posts but really looking forward to A to Z where I have big plans. 🙂
Shilpa – missed reading you so come back soon 🙂
March 3, 2016 12:43 pm|
You are on fire, Parul! Love the way you are writing so much. I need to get my act together too, especially now that AtoZ is a month away. Looking forward to all the action in April with you, Parul 🙂
February 23, 2016 7:27 pm|
Hugs to you shilpa ! you are a brilliant writer; expressing yourself so well. glad to connect with you. hats off to your reading target, for me I took almost two full months to complete two books, felt happy and good after a long time, i have been able to get to reading printed word. Last week for not very good for me, death in my family.. and slowly trying to accept the reality and believe that death has actually visited..
March 3, 2016 12:44 pm|
You are a sweetheart, Genevive. Admire and appreciate the work that you are doing! Sorry about your loss! Hugs back to you!
February 23, 2016 7:35 pm|
Looks like you had quite an eventful week offline. Relax. It will get you back all refreshed when the mojo strikes. Congratulations on 19. It was fun to read.
March 3, 2016 12:46 pm|
Yes, got quite a lot of things done. Thanks Lata. ♥
February 23, 2016 7:56 pm|
Enjoyed reading what you did to get set. Going back to old posts quite an interesting thing that I was doing long time back. But, now I normally don’t go back.
March 3, 2016 12:47 pm|
I love re-reading old posts. It’s fun to travel down the memory lane. Thank you Vishal. Glad you enjoyed this post 🙂
February 23, 2016 9:50 pm|
You’re still the best for me when it comes to those 55 word challenges.
And I don’t know how you can be on target for 150 books! For me, now that would be a few years if not a decade.
March 3, 2016 12:48 pm|
Your words inspire me, Roshan. Thanks.
You are not able to read books because you are busy writing them!! And that’s sooooo very cool 🙂
February 23, 2016 9:52 pm|
I am so jealous of you! I want to do this… simply laze around. Give time to myself and read books !
March 3, 2016 12:49 pm|
Amen to your wish, Richa. 🙂
February 23, 2016 10:01 pm|
Wow you did a lot last week! I’m trying to get my life on track as my maid has gone off on leave ( indefinitely she says) . I’m waiting for the day when I can catch a few winks in the afternoon and not have to worry about what’s cooking and what’s not.
March 3, 2016 12:50 pm|
Aah! Vanishing acts by maids can derail a lot of things at home!! Hope she is back by now!
February 23, 2016 10:50 pm|
You are a wonderful writer Shilpa dear. Happy to read about your time, because there is a lot of positivism there too:-) I think sometimes – when we all feel we will spend time on something else – we should do that. “There is a time for everything” my granddad used to say, and “now it is like this”:-) Tomorrow, next week, next month it will maybe be different. That’s life:-)
March 3, 2016 12:55 pm|
Thanks Eli, glad you enjoyed reading this post!
Those are wise words from your grand dad and we must follow the advice religiously. Thanks for sharing, Eli 🙂
February 23, 2016 11:03 pm|
I am personally fearful of starting to write again…actually terrified. Haven’t done it in so long! I love the Big Bang Theory. One of my favorites!!
March 3, 2016 12:56 pm|
You are a wonderful story teller, Kathy! I must start writing sooon 🙂
Big Bang… Love love it. 🙂
February 24, 2016 12:11 am|
Loved everything that you did. Oh, How I’ve missed the power of the naps in the afternoon since the time I became a slave to the corporate world!
March 3, 2016 12:58 pm|
Oh, power naps are fantastic. I remember, finishing my lunch early so that I could put my head down (like the way we used to do in school) at work for a few minutes. So refreshing, I tell you!
February 24, 2016 2:30 am|
You have managed to come up with quite a nice post :)…. I must try those word games too… Thats a terrific reading spree….you have literally devoured books…. I almost never watch TV alone too and politics doesn’t interest me either….same pinch…. Belated Anniversary wishes
March 3, 2016 12:59 pm|
Thanks Jayashree. Try Lexiquo, it’s fantastic!
February 24, 2016 3:56 am|
What a great day — I envy you. Can I come and hang out with you for a day? And for your writer’s block — nothing to worry about – you always write great posts. The inspiration will come back.
March 3, 2016 1:01 pm|
Oh please do come, Carol!! It would be fun to listen to your inspiring life stories and your dogs too 🙂
Thank you for your kind words, I am touched ♥
February 24, 2016 10:53 am|
1100+ posts…wow! that’s quite a feat! 🙂
You have read some good books; I enjoyed both HOW I BRAVED…. and YES, MY ACCENT….. 🙂
best wishes for your 150 books challenge 🙂
March 3, 2016 1:02 pm|
Thanks M! These two books are so much fun and funny!
February 24, 2016 11:45 am|
1100+ posts, 200 drabbles, 150 book challenge- First take a bow, Shilpa! What an amazing writer and inspiration you are. you will rise and shine soon. Such breaks are needed. Liked your 10th point, i do that often these days, one of the things i learnt in the past couple of years is to slow down and live inthe moment and sometimes do nothing at all.
March 3, 2016 1:04 pm|
Thank you so much Asha for your kind and generous words. ♥
True, we need such breaks from time to time. Next time I wish I dont have this nagging thought “I have to write, I have to write” when I am taking such breaks. That somehow mars the fun!
February 24, 2016 1:20 pm|
You always amaze me with your consistency in blogging and I’m a fan of your 55 fiction. This post is something I can connect with, I have such weeks often….too often for my liking 😉
Buy its is good to put up your feet once in a while, laze around and read books.
March 3, 2016 1:12 pm|
Thanks Aditi. You are so generous!
I know, while it’s good to take such breaks, but when these breaks last for a long time and that too frequently, then it’s really worrisome!
February 24, 2016 4:47 pm|
You are such an amazing and consistent blogger, with so many milestones under your hat! But it is humbling to hear you say that you are going through a Writer’s Block! I am sure it is a passing phase and justified after so many years of consistent performance! You take a break and enjoy doing things you couldn’t find time to do! All the best, hoping to read your lovely stuff soon!
March 3, 2016 1:13 pm|
Thanks for your kind words, Kala. Hope this is just a phase and hope it does not visit me for a long long time.
February 24, 2016 6:32 pm|
Those were so many activities Shilpa.. and you had time to laze around as well!! That’s like cherry on the cake. And 150 books! That’s like a dream for me.. And I am so going through reader’s block! Just not reading anything at all these days.. where do I catch myself back, I have no idea!
March 3, 2016 1:33 pm|
Hope you are out of your reader’s block, Geetika. It is a terrible phase and I hate it! But glad that it gave me time to do a lot more. Start with one step (book) at a time, and you will get into the groove of reading too!
February 24, 2016 6:43 pm|
wow you sure can read!!! And you washed everything… hahaha your OCD is on full swing 😀 Glad to see you back 🙂
March 3, 2016 1:15 pm|
Aah! This OCD is disturbing and I can see my future… SIGH 🙄
Thanks Raj. 🙂
February 24, 2016 7:51 pm|
3.5 books is one day???
On another note, we seriously need to catch up.
March 3, 2016 1:17 pm|
3.5 … well that happens when you start reading as soon as you open your eyes in the morning and do it till youdoze off at night 😀
We must do that soon!
February 25, 2016 12:55 pm|
You wrote so much with writer’s block..Only you could have done it..I missed your posts..Now get back and start with your awesome take on everything that is life …:)
March 3, 2016 1:17 pm|
Haha! Thanks Nabanita! Hope to do so without a break now! 🙂
February 25, 2016 1:12 pm|
I love and want my share of solitude. I like watching television alone.
Not anti-national, actually you chose to keep yourself sane. AND, you finished 3.5 books in a day!! I mean how?
Liked reading what you did!
March 3, 2016 1:20 pm|
Oh, there’s nothing more blissful than few hours of Me Time every day. I think everybody should spend some time in peace and alone everyday. 3.5 days is possible when you dont do anything but just read the entire day 😀
Thanks Tarang, glad you enjoyed this post!
February 26, 2016 7:27 pm|
Hahah, writers block….I have been having one for years now. I don’t know how I will end up writing again 🙂
March 3, 2016 1:21 pm|
Hi Shahid. Are you back to blogging! So good to see you here. How have you been? Must check your blog!!